To quickly and efficiently develop reliable, convenient and low-cost medical devices, engineers require microcontrollers (MCUs) that provide low power consumption, high performance and targeted peripheral integration. Addressing this need, Texas Instruments (TI) has announced the new MSP430FG47x ultra-low power MCU series.
The FG47x MCUs offer on-chip integration of the complete signal chain, reducing design complexity and resulting in significant space and cost savings. These devices will help developers improve the quality and accessibility of healthcare through products such as blood glucose meters, digital thermometers, pulse oximeters and blood pressure/heart rate monitors. For more information, please visit our website.
MSP430FG47x key features and benefits
- Complete signal chain integrated on chip, consisting of two configurable op amps, 12-bit digital-to-analog converter (DAC), comparator and 16-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC), reduces board space, bill of materials and time to market
- 16-bit Sigma-Delta ADC for applications that require high-resolution signal conversion
- 128-segment LCD driver with contrast control for convenient diagnostic display
- Multiple memory options available: up to 60KB flash and 2KB RAM for easy programmability
- Enhanced portability with ultra-low power consumption of the MSP430 MCUs, extending battery life to 20+ years
- Integrated intelligent peripherals on MSP430 MCUs provide high performance and consume no power when not in operation
- Two package options to meet various printed circuit board (PCB) size requirements: 80-pin QFP or 113-ball BGA, which measures only 7.1mm x 7.1mm
The FG47x devices are the newest addition to TI’s broad MCU portfolio for medical applications. TI offers a full range of embedded processing and complementary analog solutions that help designers create more flexible, affordable and convenient medical devices that improve diagnostics and increase accessibility. The ultra-low power consumption of TI’s MCU solutions enhances portability for easier monitoring and treatment of chronic conditions.
Pricing and availability
FG47x MCUs are currently available and start at $5.50 (1K unit pricing). They are fully compatible with the $149 MSP-FET430U100 and the $99 MSP-FET430UIF flash emulation tool kits, speeding development and time to market. In addition, the ultra-low power consumption, performance and integration of the FG47x MCUs make the devices suitable for industrial sensors and handheld instrumentation.