BD is a medical technology company that serves healthcare institutions, life science researchers, clinical laboratories, industry and the general public. It is headquartered in the US and has offices in more than 50 countries worldwide.
The BD Diagnostics segment focuses on improving health outcomes for patients by providing laboratories with solutions that improve quality, enhance laboratory system productivity and informed medical decisions.
BD Diagnostics is a leading provider of products for the safe collection and transportation of diagnostic specimens, as well as instruments and reagent systems to accurately detect a broad range of infectious diseases, healthcare-associated infections (HAIs) and cancers.
Fully automated systems for molecular testing
The company has a proven background in automated molecular testing.
BD MAX™ is the company’s fully automated bench top molecular system that is able to simultaneously run assays that are both pre-defined CE-IVD and user-defined, as well as multiple specimen types.
It is able to customise the point of care characteristics and the assay menu, with this flexibility being particularly useful in diagnostic labs.
With its BD Viper™ XTR system, the company is also able to perform assays for Neisseria gonorrhea and Chlamydia trachomatis testing.
Access to a range of assays for molecular tests and treatment
Through the BD MAX™, users can access an extensive range of assays developed by BD, as well as assays developed by BD partners.
All BD MAX™ IVD assays follow the same simple process of adding a specimen, snapping in reagents, loading on the instrument and then starting the run.
Assays for treating healthcare associated infections
- BD MAX™ MRSA assay to rapidly and accurately aid in the diagnostic of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) carriage in patients, helping to enable rapid and appropriate infection control measures for patient and bed management
- BD MAX™ Cdiff assay to rapidly and accurately aid in the diagnosis of patients with Clostridium difficile infection (CDI), helping to enable timely and appropriate treatment and infection control measures, and improved patient outcomes
- BD MAX™ StaphSR with eXTended Detection Technology for methicillin-resistant and susceptible Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA and MSSA) accurately identifies: MRSA strains with the novel mecC cassette and new MREJ types and mecA dropouts that can cause MRSA false positives
Assays for advancing respiratory disease treatment
- Diagenode Respiratory Influenza A/B assay (Europe only) to rapidly and accurately identify the genes human influenza A/B (HI.A/B) in patients, helping to enable timely and appropriate treatment. Manufactured by BD partner Diagenode
- BD MAX Carbapenem-Resistant Enterobacteriaceae RUO assay is a research use only assay designed to detect three antimicrobial resistance genes found predominantly in carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE): KPC, OXA-48, and NDM
- Diagenode Respiratory Bordetella pertussis / parapertussis real-time PCR kit is intended as an aid in the diagnosis of Pertussis. This test also allows for the detection of Bordetella parapertussis in nasopharyngeal aspirates but is not to be used for diagnostic purposes (Europe only). Manufactured by BD partner Diagenode
Enteric disease detection
- BD MAX™ Enteric Bacterial panel is a rapid in-vitro diagnostic test for the qualitative real-time polymerase chain reaction detection of the genes for Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella and Shiga Toxin-Producing Escherichia coli
- Diagenode Enteric Viral Panel is a rapid in-vitro diagnostic test for the qualitative real-time polymerase chain reaction detection of the genes for NorBordetellaovirus and Rotavirus (Europe only). Manufactured by BD partner Diagenode
- BD MAX™ Enteric Parasite panel detects the genes for three commonly isolated and highly pathogenic parasites that cause gastroenteritis: Giardia lamblia, Entamoeba histolytica, Cryptosporidium spp. (C hominus and C parvum) (IVD)
The BD MAX™ platform is an open system that enables laboratories to programme and automate user-defined thermocycling and PCR-analysis protocols. Laboratories can use user-defined protocols or other commercial assays in addition to those developed by BD.
Contact BD to find out more.
Assays in development
Assays in development by BD include:
- BD MAX™ CT/GC/ Trich (CE/IVD)
Assays being developed by BD partners include:
- Atypical Pneumonia panel
- Meningitis bacterial
- Meningitis viral