Total Medical devices industry cross border deals worth $592.8m were announced globally for May 2022, with the Straumann $138.06m acquisition of SunshineSmile being the sector’s biggest investment, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 80.3% over the previous month of $3.01bn and a drop of 91.4% when compared with the last 12-month average of $6.91bn.
In terms of number of cross border deals, the sector saw a drop of 25% with 45 deals in May 2022 when compared to the last 12-month average of 60 deals.
In value terms, Europe led the activity with cross border deals worth $356.74m in May 2022.
Medical devices industry cross border deals in May 2022: Top deals
The top five cross border deals accounted for 67.2% of the overall value during May 2022.
The combined value of the top five cross border deals stood at $398.41m, against the overall value of $592.8m recorded for the month.
The top five Medical devices industry cross border deals of May 2022 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Straumann $138.06m acquisition deal with SunshineSmile
2) The $75.34m venture financing of Diabeloop by Innovacom,LBO France and Terumo
3) ConvaTec Group $64m venture financing deal with BlueWind Medical
4) The $61m venture financing of Redcliffe Lifetech by Alkemi Venture Partners,Chiratae Ventures,HealthQuad,LC Nueva AIF,LeapFrog Investments,Schroders and Spark Growth Ventures
5) BlackRock,Decheng Capital,Foresite Capital Management,General Catalyst Partners,GV Management Co,Khosla Ventures and Mayfield Fund $60m venture financing deal with Mirvie
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed cross border deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.