Total medical devices industry deals for August 2020 worth $20.36bn were announced globally, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 69.4% over the previous month and a rise of 141.3% when compared with the last 12-month average of $8.43bn.
In terms of number of deals, the sector saw a rise of 4.6% over the last 12-month average with 158 deals against the average of 151 deals.
In value terms, North America led the activity with deals worth $18.83bn.
Medical devices industry deals in August 2020: Top deals
The top five medical devices deals accounted for 89.2% of the overall value during August 2020.
The combined value of the top five medical devices deals stood at $18.15bn, against the overall value of $20.36bn recorded for the month.
The top five medical devices industry deals of August 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Siemens Healthineers’ $16.4bn acquisition of Varian Medical Systems
2) The $825m private equity deal with NN by ASP Navigate Acquisition
3) Koninklijke Philips’ $360m acquisition of Intact Vascular
4) The $291.1m private equity deal with MicroPort Medbot (Shanghai) by Jiaxing Biolink Hongrun Venture Capital, Tianjin Ronghao Enterprise Management Partnership (LLP), Tianjin Yuanyi Yuanfu Enterprise Management Center (Limited Partnership), Yifang Huida Venture Capital (Guangdong) Partnership (Limited Partnership), Yifang Yida (Guangdong) Investment Partnership (Limited Partnership) and Zhuhai Gaoling Chongheng Equity Investment Enterprise (Limited Partnership)
5) Andreessen Horowitz, Bain Capital Life Sciences, BrightEdge Fund, Catalio Capital Management, Colorectal Cancer Alliance, Cormorant Asset Management, Data Collective Venture Capital, EcoR1 Capital, Farallon Capital Management, Fidelity Management & Research, GV Management Co, Janus Henderson Investors, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, Novartis Venture Fund, Perceptive Advisors, Polaris Partners, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Rock Springs Capital Management, Sands Capital Management, Section 32, Soleus Capital Management and T Rowe Price Associates’ venture financing of Freenome for $270m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.