Total medical devices industry deals for Q1 2020 worth $17.81bn were announced globally, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 28.4% over the previous quarter and a rise of 29.7% when compared with the last four-quarter average of $13.73bn.
In terms of number of deals, the sector saw a drop of 0.7% over the last four-quarter average with 403 deals against the average of 406 deals.
In value terms, Europe led the activity with deals worth $12bn.
Medical devices industry deals in Q1 2020: Top deals
The top five medical devices deals accounted for 75.8% of the overall value during Q1 2020.
The combined value of the top five medical devices deals stood at $13.49bn, against the overall value of $17.81bn recorded for the month.
The top five medical devices industry deals of Q1 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Thermo Fisher Scientific’s $11.5bn acquisition of Qiagen
2) The $1.1bn acquisition of Dermira by Eli Lilly and
3) Montagu Private Equity’s $490m private equity deal with RTI Surgical Holdings
4) The $239.55m acquisition of Beijing Changjiangmai MedicalTechnology Co., Ltd. by Dezhan Health
5) General Catalyst Partners, HBM Healthcare Investments, Khosla Ventures, Lightspeed Management Company and SoftBank Vision Fund’s venture financing of Karius for $165m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.