Total medical devices industry deals worth $2.31bn were announced globally for February 2021, with the $600m acquisition of Decipher Biosciences being the sector’s biggest investment, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 91.1% over the previous month of $26bn and a drop of 75.9% when compared with the last 12-month average of $9.57bn.
In terms of number of deals, the sector saw a drop of 25.31% with 121 deals in February 2021 when compared to the last 12-month average of 162 deals.
In value terms, North America led the activity with deals worth $1.76bn in February 2021.
Medical Devices industry deals in February 2021: Top deals
The top five deals accounted for 48.1% of the overall value during February 2021.
The combined value of the top five deals stood at $1.11bn, against the overall value of $2.31bn recorded for the month.
The top five medical devices industry deals of February 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Veracyte’s $600m acquisition of Decipher Biosciences
2) The $150m venture financing of WuXi Diagnostic Investment (Cayman) by ABC International, CCBI Tech Venture, Shiyu Capital Group, Sunland Capital, Thermo Fisher Scientific and YF Capital
3) NuVasive’s $150m acquisition of Simplify Medical
4) The $108m private equity deal of Mainstay Medical International by Ally Bridge Group, Fountain Healthcare Partners, KCK Group and Sofinnova Partners
5) DNS Capital, General Catalyst Partners, Glen Tullman, GreatPoint Ventures, TYH Ventures, Wasson Enterprise and Wittington Ventures’ venture financing deal with Truvian Sciences for $105m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.