OptumInsight’s $13bn acquisition deal with Change Healthcare was the medical devices industry’s biggest deal of Q1 2021 as deals worth $37.34bn were announced globally in the quarter, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 81.1% over the previous quarter and a rise of 61.7% when compared with the last four-quarter average of $23.09bn.
In terms of number of deals, the sector saw a rise of 0.15% with 490 deals in Q1 2021 against the average of 489.25 deals in the last four-quarters.
In value terms, North America led the activity with deals worth $31.45bn.
medical devices industry deals in Q1 2021: Top deals
The top five medical devices industry deals accounted for 56% of the overall value during Q1 2021.
The combined value of the top five deals stood at $20.9bn, against the overall value of $37.34bn recorded for the quarter.
The top five medical devices industry deals of Q1 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) OptumInsight’s $13bn acquisition deals with Change Healthcare
2) The $4.6bn acquisition of Cantel Medical by Steris
3) Boston Scientific’s $1.23bn acquisition of Preventice
4) The $1.07bn asset transaction with Lumenis by Boston Scientific
5) Hellman & Friedman’s private equity with Cardinal Health for $1bn.