OptumInsight’s $13bn acquisition deal with Change Healthcare was the medical devices industry’s biggest deal of Q1 2021 as deals worth $37.34bn were announced globally in the quarter, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 81.1% over the previous quarter and a rise of 61.7% when compared with the last four-quarter average of $23.09bn.
In terms of number of deals, the sector saw a rise of 0.15% with 490 deals in Q1 2021 against the average of 489.25 deals in the last four-quarters.
In value terms, North America led the activity with deals worth $31.45bn.
medical devices industry deals in Q1 2021: Top deals
The top five medical devices industry deals accounted for 56% of the overall value during Q1 2021.
The combined value of the top five deals stood at $20.9bn, against the overall value of $37.34bn recorded for the quarter.
The top five medical devices industry deals of Q1 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) OptumInsight’s $13bn acquisition deals with Change Healthcare
2) The $4.6bn acquisition of Cantel Medical by Steris
3) Boston Scientific’s $1.23bn acquisition of Preventice
4) The $1.07bn asset transaction with Lumenis by Boston Scientific
5) Hellman & Friedman’s private equity with Cardinal Health for $1bn.