Total medical devices industry venture financing deals worth $929.33m were announced in the US in January 2021, led by $190m venture financing of Valo Health, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 3.3% over the previous month of $899.39m and a rise of 13.5% when compared with the last 12-month average of $819.18m.
The US held an 81.52% share of the global medical devices industry venture financing deal value that totalled $1.14bn in January 2021.
In terms of venture financing deal activity, the US recorded 24 deals during January 2021, marking a decrease of 45.45% over the previous month and a drop of 56.36% over the 12-month average.
US medical devices industry venture financing deals in January 2021: Top deals
The top five medical devices industry venture financing deals accounted for 69.1% of the overall value during January 2021.
The combined value of the top five medical devices venture financing deals stood at $642m, against the overall value of $929.33m recorded for the month.
The top five medical devices industry venture financing deals of January 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Atinum Investment, HBM Healthcare Investments, Invus Public Equities, Mirae Asset Capital and Public Sector Pension Investment Board’s $190m venture financing of Valo Health
2) The $167m venture financing of Color Genomics by General Catalyst Partners, T Rowe Price Associates and Viking Global Investors
3) AV8 Ventures, Cowen Healthcare Investments, Foresite Capital Management, Illumina Ventures, Menlo Ventures, Northpond Ventures, Orbimed Advisors, Osage University Partners, Rock Springs Capital Management, Samsara BioCapital, T Rowe Price Associates and Windham Venture Partners’ $100m venture financing of Delfi Diagnostics
4) The $100m venture financing of Paige.AI by Casdin Capital and Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JJDC
5) Ally Bridge Group and Perceptive Advisors’ venture financing of IsoPlexis for $85m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.