North America’s medical devices industry saw a drop of 2.78% in deal activity during February 2022, when compared with the last 12-month average, led by Anthem, Blue Venture Fund, Deerfield ManagementLP, Fidelity Management & Research, Flare Capital Partners, General Insuranceof India, Inova Health System, Longitude Capital Management Co, Optum Ventures, RA Capital Management and Wellington ManagementLLP’s $325m venture financing deal with Somatus, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
A total of 105 medical devices industry deals worth $2.2bn were announced for the region in February 2022, against the 12-month average of 108 deals.
Of all the deal types, venture financing saw most activity in February 2022 with 74 transactions, representing a 70.5% share for the region.
In second place was M&A with 22 deals, followed by private equity deals with nine transactions, respectively capturing a 21% and 8.6% share of the overall deal activity for the month.
In terms of value of deals, venture financing was the leading category in North America’s medical devices industry with $1.55bn, while private equity and M&A deals totalled $399.25m and $265.49m, respectively.
North America medical devices industry deals in February 2022: Top deals
The top five medical devices deals accounted for 49.5% of the overall value during February 2022.
The combined value of the top five medical devices deals stood at $1.1bn, against the overall value of $2.2bn recorded for the month.
The top five medical devices industry deals of February 2022 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Anthem,Blue Venture Fund,Deerfield ManagementLP,Fidelity Management & Research,Flare Capital Partners,General Insuranceof India,Inova Health System,Longitude Capital Management Co,Optum Ventures,RA Capital Management and Wellington ManagementLLP $325m venture financing deal with Somatus
2) The $241m private equity of IntriCon by Altaris Capital Partners
3) Dreamtech $227.57m acquisition of 9.07% stake in Cardiac Insight
4) The $192m venture financing of Omada Health by aMoon Funds,Civilization Ventures,Fidelity Management & Research,Perceptive Advisors and Wellington ManagementLLP
5) Alumni Ventures Group,aMoon Funds,Cowen Healthcare Investments,Echo Health Ventures,Hitachi Ventures,Khosla Ventures,Laurion Capital Management,Monashee Investment Management,Neuberger Berman Group,Northpond Ventures and Optum Ventures $110m venture financing deal with Scipher Medicine
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.