US medical devices industry saw a drop of 10.98% in overall deal activity during February 2021, when compared with the last 12-month average, led by Veracyte’s $600m acquisition of Decipher Biosciences, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
A total of 73 deals worth $1.73bn were announced in February 2021, compared with the 12-month average of 82 deals.
venture financing was the leading category in the month in terms of volume with 40 deals, which accounted for 54.8% of all deals.
In second place was M&A with 28 deals, followed by private equity with five transactions, respectively accounting for 38.4% and 6.9% of overall deal activity in the US technology industry during the month.
In terms of value of deals, M&A was the leading deal category in the US medical devices industry with total deals worth $831.84m, while venture financing and private equity deals totalled $811.82m and $84.87m respectively.
US medical devices industry deals in February 2021: Top deals
The top five medical devices industry deals accounted for 60.6% of the overall value during February 2021.
The combined value of the top five medical devices deals stood at $1.05bn, against the overall value of $1.73bn recorded for the month.
The top five medical devices industry deals of February 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Veracyte’s $600m acquisition of Decipher Biosciences
2) The $150m acquisition of Simplify Medical by NuVasive
3) DNS Capital, General Catalyst Partners, Glen Tullman, GreatPoint Ventures, TYH Ventures, Wasson Enterprise and Wittington Ventures’ $105m venture financing of Truvian Sciences
4) The $103m venture financing deal with Personal Genome Diagnostics by Catalio Capital Management, Cowen Healthcare Investments, Innovatus Capital Partners, Kern Capital Management, New Enterprise Associates, Northpond Ventures, PFM Health Sciences, Rock Springs Capital Management, Sands Capital Management, Vensana Capital and Windham Venture Partners
5) Altium Capital, Axiom Associates, Colle Capital Partners, GV Management Co, Huamin Investment Management and Nextrans’ venture financing with Hyperfine Research for $90m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.