Led by $635m acquisition of Capsule Technologies, the US medical devices industry saw a rise of 21.05% in overall cross border deal activity during Q1 2021, when compared with the last four-quarter average, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
A total of 46 cross border deals worth $1.84bn were announced in Q1 2021, compared with the last four-quarter average of 38.00 deals.
venture financing was the leading category in the quarter with 25 cross border deals which accounted for 54.4% of all deals.
In second place was M&A with 17 deals, followed by private equity with four transactions, respectively accounting for 37% and 8.7% of overall cross border deal activity in the US medical devices industry during the quarter.
How well do you really know your competitors?
Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.
Your download email will arrive shortly
Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample
We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below formBy GlobalData
In terms of value of cross border deals, M&A was the leading deal category in the US medical devices industry with total deals worth $977.63m, while venture financing and private equity deals totalled $626.67m and $239.67m, respectively.
US medical devices industry cross border deals in Q1 2021: Top deals
The top five medical devices industry cross border deals accounted for 61.2% of the overall value during Q1 2021.
The combined value of the top five medical devices cross border deals stood at $1.13bn, against the overall value of $1.84bn recorded for the quarter.
The top five medical devices industry cross border deals of Q1 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Koninklijke Philips’ $635m acquisition of Capsule Technologies
2) The $240m acquisition of Alydia Health by Organon
3) Altium Capital, Axiom Associates, Colle Capital Partners, GV Management Co, Huamin Investment Management and Nextrans’ $90m venture financing of Hyperfine Research
4) The $82m venture financing deal with Scipher Medicine by Alumni Ventures Group, aMoon Partners, Echo Health Ventures, Khosla Ventures and Northpond Ventures
5) Adage Capital Management, Ally Bridge Group, Asahi Kasei Medical, Bain Capital Life Sciences, BlackRock, CaaS Capital Management, D1 Capital Partners, Endeavour Vision, Longitude Capital Management Co, Quaker Partners Management, Sunley House Capital Management, T Rowe Price Associates and Xeraya Capital Sdn’s private equity with Rapid Micro Biosystems for $81m.