As more pressure is put on industries to boost the bottom line, management is taking a closer look at all operating costs, including connectivity.
For example, take the case study of our medical MRI customer, in the past their MRI docking stations used non-magnetic coaxial contacts to connect the 16 channels of the MRI signals between the mobile bed and the main MRI system. Due to high price, the customer was looking for a cost effective solution, with the same or better performance.
Our engineering team used spring probe contacts and RF engineering, developing a grid array based solution, replacing the existing expensive coaxial contacts with specially arranged non-magnetic Hyperspring® contacts (part of Smiths Interconnect’s Hypertac® hyperboloid contact technology portfolio).
This connector solution met the extreme requirements of 60,000 mating cycles during the life of the MRI-systems, as well as excellent vibration and shock performance. Our engineering team worked in close contact with the customer’s team to develop the right solution and help boost the bottom line.
Smiths Interconnect’s extensive experience in spring loaded contacts (in this case, the Hyperspring, which uses Hypertac contacts to connect the spring probe’s plunger to the contact) was the basis for success, along with the Grid Array technology. This new design from Smith Interconnect was cost effective and increased the reliability of connectivity in the medical industry providing:
- Low cost of ownership: Contacts designed to maintain their reliability for the life of the equipment they connect
- Stable contact resistances over years of constant use: Eliminating concerns about product degradation over time
- Reliable RF performance: Without the high costs associated with coaxial connectors
Additional features and benefits:
- Reliable connection: mechanical action provided by the internal spring and electrical connection provided by internal pin and socket mating
- Low and stable contact resistance tested up to 100,000 mating cycles
- Self-cleaning contact action in harsh environment
- Easy replacement and maintenance
- Non-magnetic versions available with different contact terminations (SMT, solder cup and straight)
- Suitable for high density applications in the Defence, Medical, and Test & Measurement markets