AL428FDA is a two-part, heat-resistant and low exothermic epoxy adhesive formulation. It is a solid...
AL420FDA is a two-part, heat-resistant and low exothermic epoxy adhesive formulation. It is a solid epoxy adhesive, with superior chemical resistance and shear strength.
AL420FDA contains a thixotropic agent, which impedes thinning out of the material during heat cure when properly mixed and cured.
The advantages of the resin include:
- It develops a strong bond
- It is durable to numerous construction materials such as metals, glass, rubber, ceramics, concrete, and phenolic plastics
- It provides premium resistance to water, salt solutions, galvanic action, acids, alkalies, and most chemicals
Food and Drug Administration (FDA) information
Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) permits and regulates the use of epoxy resins such as AL420FDA Part A as an indirect food additive in food contact applications. Some of the sections of 21 CFR that support this are 175.105, 175.300, 175.320, and 176.17.
AL420FDA Part B complies with FDA regulations listed in the Title 21 of the CFR, sections:
- 175.105 (c)(5) Adhesives
- 175.300 (b)(3)(viii)(c) Coatings – adjunct for epoxy resins
- 176.170 (b)(1) Components of paper and paper-board in contact with aqueous and fatty foods.
- 175.300 (b)(xxxii) Side seam cements
AL420FDA Part B will comply with the above regulations as long as it is used only with other approved materials, and as long as the finished product conforms with extractives limitations for the use-situation as specified in those regulations.
Color available: In a variety of colors
Solids contents: 100%
Coverage: 250ft2/gal to 350ft2/gal
Shelf life: Two years if the packaging remainsunopened
Service temperature -40°C to 165°C
Hardness: SD 80
Tensile shear strength Al to Al: 2800psi
Passes: 10 day humidity test mil STD 8:0 above 95% with condensation
Curing times for various temperatures are: 20min at 177°C, 30min at 121°C, 80min at 93°C, 4-6 hours at 66°C,
16-24 hours at 25°C. This superior adhesive develops most of its major mechanical and structural properties after 18 hours at room temperature (overnight at 25°C).
AL420FDA’s pot life and exotherm are dependent upon several factors, including mass of resin, amount of catalyst used, ambient temperature, and type of equipment used. A 200g mix will have a pot life of approximately 120min at room temperature.
- Clean and throughly dry all surfaces to be bonded
- Follow mixing-dispensing instructions as shown on package
- Apply a thin coat of the mix (not more than 0.010") by brush, spray, or roller to the surfaces to be bonded
- Genlty press surfaces firmly together
AL420FDA is available in 50g, divided into plastic bags, and in large unit (two-container) pint, quart, and gallon kits. Each kit consists of the correct amount of the specified epoxy material and curing agent hardener formulations, which are each supplied in separate containers with complete proportioning, use, and cure instructions.
AL419FDA is a two-part, heat-resistant, and low-exothermic epoxy adhesive formulation. It has superior chemical resistance...
ALFA International to Commercialise Naval Undersea Warfare Center (NUWC) Division Newport’s Polyurethane NUWC XP-1
ALFA International has entered an agreement with NUWC to commercialise its encapsulant, which was developed...