Total medical devices industry deals worth $24.72bn were announced globally for January 2021, with the $13bn acquisition of Change Healthcare being the sector’s biggest investment, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 161.3% over the previous month of $9.46bn and a rise of 221.9% when compared with the last 12-month average of $7.68bn.
In terms of number of deals, the sector saw a drop of 41.25% with 94 deals in January 2021 when compared to the last 12-month average of 160 deals.
In value terms, North America led the activity with deals worth $22.38bn in January 2021.
Medical Devices industry deals in January 2021: Top deals
The top five deals accounted for 82.3% of the overall value during January 2021.
The combined value of the top five deals stood at $20.34bn, against the overall value of $24.72bn recorded for the month.
The top five medical devices industry deals of January 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) OptumInsight’s $13bn acquisition of Change Healthcare
2) The $4.6bn acquisition of Cantel Medical by Steris
3) Boston Scientific’s $1.23bn acquisition of Preventice
4) The $880.85m asset transaction deal of Novasep Holding by Thermo Fisher Scientific
5) Koninklijke Philips’ acquisition deal with Capsule Technologies for $635m.