Total medical devices industry deals worth $24.72bn were announced globally for January 2021, with the $13bn acquisition of Change Healthcare being the sector’s biggest investment, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 161.3% over the previous month of $9.46bn and a rise of 221.9% when compared with the last 12-month average of $7.68bn.
In terms of number of deals, the sector saw a drop of 41.25% with 94 deals in January 2021 when compared to the last 12-month average of 160 deals.
In value terms, North America led the activity with deals worth $22.38bn in January 2021.
Medical Devices industry deals in January 2021: Top deals
The top five deals accounted for 82.3% of the overall value during January 2021.
The combined value of the top five deals stood at $20.34bn, against the overall value of $24.72bn recorded for the month.
The top five medical devices industry deals of January 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) OptumInsight’s $13bn acquisition of Change Healthcare
2) The $4.6bn acquisition of Cantel Medical by Steris
3) Boston Scientific’s $1.23bn acquisition of Preventice
4) The $880.85m asset transaction deal of Novasep Holding by Thermo Fisher Scientific
5) Koninklijke Philips‘ acquisition deal with Capsule Technologies for $635m.