US medical devices industry saw a drop of 28.97% in overall deal activity during July 2022, when compared with the last 12-month average, led by Amazon.com’s $3.9bn acquisition of 1Life Healthcare, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
A total of 76 deals worth $8.6bn were announced in July 2022, compared with the 12-month average of 107 deals.
venture financing was the leading category in the month in terms of volume with 50 deals, which accounted for 65.8% of all deals.
In second place was M&A with 21 deals, followed by private equity with five transactions, respectively accounting for 27.6% and 6.6% of overall deal activity in the US technology industry during the month.
In terms of value of deals, M&A was the leading deal category in the US medical devices industry with total deals worth $4.63bn, while private equity and venture financing deals totalled $2.85bn and $1.11bn respectively.
US medical devices industry deals in July 2022: Top deals
The top five medical devices industry deals accounted for 86.4% of the overall value during July 2022.
The combined value of the top five medical devices deals stood at $7.42bn, against the overall value of $8.6bn recorded for the month.
The top five medical devices industry deals of July 2022 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Amazon.com $3.9bn acquisition deal with 1Life Healthcare
2) The $1.54bn private equity of Meridian Bioscience by SD Biosensor and SJL Partners
3) Patient Square Capital $1.25bn private equity deal with Hanger
4) The $500m acquisition of OpenEye Scientific Software by Cadence Design Systems
5) AV8 Ventures, Brown Advisory, Cowen Healthcare Investments, DFJ Growth Management, Eli Lilly and Co, Foresite Capital Management, Illumina Ventures, Initiate Ventures, Menlo Ventures, Northpond Ventures, Open Field Capital, Orbimed Advisors, Osage University Partners, Point Field Partners,Point72 Ventures,PTX Capital, Rock Springs Capital Management, Samsara BioCapital, T Rowe Price Associates and Windham Venture Partners $225m venture financing deal with Delfi Diagnostics