Total medical devices industry venture financing deals worth $1.9bn were announced in the US in May 2021, led by $540m venture financing of Noom, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked an increase of 28% over the previous month of $1.5bn and a rise of 95.3% when compared with the last 12-month average of $983.18m.
The US held a 63.58% share of the global medical devices industry venture financing deal value that totalled $3.02bn in May 2021.
In terms of venture financing deal activity, the US recorded 59 deals during May 2021, marking a decrease of 10.61% over the previous month and a drop of 1.67% over the 12-month average.
US medical devices industry venture financing deals in May 2021: Top deals
The top five medical devices industry venture financing deals accounted for 53.6% of the overall value during May 2021.
The combined value of the top five medical devices venture financing deals stood at $1.03bn, against the overall value of $1.9bn recorded for the month.
The top five medical devices industry venture financing deals of May 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Novo Holdings, Oak HC/FT Partners, RRE Ventures, Samsung Ventures Investment, Sequoia Capital Operations, Silver Lake Management and Temasek Holdings (Private)’s $540m venture financing of Noom
2) The $165m venture financing of PathAI by 8VC , Adage Capital Partners, Biospring Partners, Bristol-Myers Squibb, D1 Capital Partners, General Atlantic, General Catalyst Partners, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, KdT Ventures, LabCorp Venture Fund, Merck Global Health Innovation Fund, Polaris Partners, Refactor Capital and Tiger Global Management
3) AME Cloud Ventures, Ardea Partners, Aspect Ventures, AXA Venture Partners, Canvas Ventures, Centene, General Atlantic, NGP Capital and Workday Ventures’ $110m venture financing of Vida Health
4) The $110m venture financing of Akili Interactive Labs by Amgen Ventures, Baillie Gifford, Canepa Healthcare, Dave Baszucki, Fearless Ventures, Jazz Venture Partners, Ladera Venture Partners, M Ventures, Mirae Asset Securities, Neuberger Berman Group, New Leaf Venture Partners, Omidyar Technology Ventures, Polaris Partners, Quad Investment Management, ShionogiLtd and Temasek Holdings (Private)
5) Alta Life Sciences, ArrowMark Partners, Hildred Capital Management, Johnson & Johnson Development, Life Sciences Partners, Orbimed Advisors and Parian Global Management’s venture financing of Binx Health for $104m.