The US medical devices industry saw a rise of 18.5% in overall deal activity during August 2020, when compared with the last 12-month average, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
A total of 96 deals worth $18.83bn were announced in August 2020, compared to the 12-month average of 81 deals.
Venture financing was the leading category in the month in terms of volume with 62 deals which accounted for 64.6% of all deals.
In second place was M&A with 24 deals, followed by private equity with ten transactions, respectively accounting for 25% and 10.4% of overall deal activity in the country’s medical devices industry during the month.
In terms of value of deals, M&A was the leading deal category in the US medical devices industry with total deals worth $16.86bn, while private equity and venture financing deals totalled $1.03bn and $936.25m, respectively.
US medical devices industry deals in August 2020: Top deals
The top five medical devices industry deals accounted for 95.3% of the overall value during August 2020.
The combined value of the top five medical devices deals stood at $17.94bn, against the overall value of $18.83bn recorded for the month.
The top five medical devices industry deals of August 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Siemens Healthineers’ $16.4bn acquisition of Varian Medical Systems
2) The $825m private equity deal with NN by ASP Navigate Acquisition
3) Koninklijke Philips’ $360m acquisition of Intact Vascular
4) The $270m venture financing of Freenome by Andreessen Horowitz, Bain Capital Life Sciences, BrightEdge Fund, Catalio Capital Management, Colorectal Cancer Alliance, Cormorant Asset Management, Data Collective Venture Capital, EcoR1 Capital, Farallon Capital Management, Fidelity Management & Research, GV Management Co, Janus Henderson Investors, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, Novartis Venture Fund, Perceptive Advisors, Polaris Partners, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Rock Springs Capital Management, Sands Capital Management, Section 32, Soleus Capital Management and T Rowe Price Associates
5) Catalyst Health Ventures and Fidelity Management & Research’s venture financing of Conformal Medical for $85m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.